Who We Are
- About Us
- Vision, Mission and Values
- Core Strategies
- Senior Leadership Team
- Our Staff
- Town Calendar
- Location and Hours
- Contact Us
Staff Directory Find the contact information of the staff member that you want to reach.
Bylaw Directory Access the most frequently requested bylaws or learn more about bylaws in Stony Plain.
Council Meetings Find out what Council will discuss at its next meeting or review decisions from past meetings.
Talk to Us There are many ways to reach us. Find out how to contact us.
Garbage and Recycling
Taxes and Utilities
Sewer and Storm Water
Roads and Infrastructure
Permits and Licences
- Community Directory
- Bylaw Directory
- Business Directory
- Utility Applications
- Service Requests
Subscribe / Contact
Police and Safety
- Fire Department
- Municipal Enforcement
- Emergency Preparedness
- Cameras in the Community
- Crime-free Multi-housing (CFMH)
Services for Living
People and Pets
- Attractions and Activities
There is a wealth of sights to see and experiences to be had in Stony Plain. Use this Guide to help plan your trip.
Town and Trail Map Find your way around Stony Plain by vehicle or on bike or foot using our detailed route and amenities map.
Mural Program Stony Plain's rich heritage is preserved through its extensive mural program. Take a tour of the magnificent artwork.
As of October 17, 2018, the production, distribution, sale, and possession of cannabis will be legalized. Municipalities play an important role in cannabis legislation relating to the Land Use Bylaw, business licensing, and consumption.
Cannabis Retail Sale Development Permits
On July 30, the Town of Stony Plain will accept applications for development permits for retail cannabis sales. An information open house on the permit intake process will be held from 12PM to 1PM on July 24 in Council Chambers. Any individual interested in applying for a permit is recommended to attend. The application intake schedule is as follows:
Land Use Bylaw and Cannabis Retail Sales
The Cannabis Land Use Bylaw (Bylaw 2592/LUO/18) will come into full effect once Federal Bill C-45 and Provincial Bill 26 come into force. Amendments to the bylaw were passed on Monday, June 25, 2018. The following amendments were made:
- Any cannabis retail store must be located at least 200m from schools or provincial health care facilities. The separation distance will be measured from the property line of the school or health care facility to the closest point of the cannabis retail store.
- Any cannabis retail store must be located at least 100m from public playgrounds, parks, and recreation centres. The separation distance will be measured from the edges of the park or structure to the closest part of the cannabis retail store.
- Any site proposed for retail sale of cannabis must be located at least 150m from any existing or proposed cannabis retail store. The separation distance will be measured from the cannabis retail store to the closet point of the other cannabis retail store.
Please see the Cannabis Land Use Bylaw for definitions of terms.
The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC) will allow cannabis retail stores to be open from 10AM to 2AM. Cannabis retail stores must also follow advertising guidelines details in the AGLC's Retail Cannabis Store Handbook.
Those interested in selling cannabis in Stony Plain must first get a retail cannabis store licence from the AGLC before they receive one from the Town of Stony Plain. For more information about getting a retail cannabis store licence, please visit www.aglc.ca/cannabis.
Council gave first and second readings to Bylaw 2596/LIC/18 on July 9. The amended bylaw will repeal Bylaw2585/LIC/18 to add definitions and fees for cannabis retail sales and production.
The proposed fees are meant to offset the costs of potential appeals, communications, and municipal enforcement associated with the legalization of recreational cannabis. A third reading will be given to the bylaw on August 20. Council will review following amendments:
- A business licence fee of $1,000 for cannabis retail stores and distribution facilities.
- A one-time fee calculated based on the size of the store or facility.
Cannabis cultivation regulations in Stony Plain will be consistent with regulations set by the Federal Government and the Government of Alberta. In Stony Plain:
- A maximum of four (4) legal cannabis plants may be grown per residence.
- Cannabis plants may be grown anywhere on an individual's property.
Council gave first reading to the proposed Cannabis Consumption Bylaw (Bylaw 2595/G/18) on July 9. The proposed bylaw adopts a "zero public consumption" stance, which prohibits the smoking or vaping of cannabis in any public place within Stony Plain limits.
A second and third reading will be given to the bylaw during the Regular Council Meeting on September 10. A Public Hearing on the bylaw will also take place during the meeting.
The Town of Stony Plain conducted a survey from April 9 to May 18, 2018 to gather information about how residents and local business owners felt about cannabis regulations and the Land Use Bylaw. The survey received 1,083 responses. Click here to view the results.
A Public Hearing on the proposed Cannabis Consumption Bylaw will take place during the Regular Council Meeting on September 10. The agenda can be viewed online the Thursday prior at www.stonyplain.com/agenda.
For more information on cannabis legislation, please visit:
If you have questions or concerns regarding cannabis legislation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.