Who We Are
- About Us
- Vision, Mission and Values
- Core Strategies
- Senior Leadership Team
- Our Staff
- Town Calendar
- Location and Hours
- Contact Us
Staff Directory Find the contact information of the staff member that you want to reach.
Bylaw Directory Access the most frequently requested bylaws or learn more about bylaws in Stony Plain.
Council Meetings Find out what Council will discuss at its next meeting or review decisions from past meetings.
Talk to Us There are many ways to reach us. Find out how to contact us.
Garbage and Recycling
Taxes and Utilities
Sewer and Storm Water
Roads and Infrastructure
Permits and Licences
- Community Directory
- Bylaw Directory
- Business Directory
- Utility Applications
- Service Requests
Subscribe / Contact
Police and Safety
- Fire Department
- Municipal Enforcement
- Emergency Preparedness
- Cameras in the Community
- Crime-free Multi-housing (CFMH)
Services for Living
People and Pets
- Attractions and Activities
There is a wealth of sights to see and experiences to be had in Stony Plain. Use this Guide to help plan your trip.
Town and Trail Map Find your way around Stony Plain by vehicle or on bike or foot using our detailed route and amenities map.
Mural Program Stony Plain's rich heritage is preserved through its extensive mural program. Take a tour of the magnificent artwork.
This year, cannabis will be legalized in Canada. The proposed Cannabis Act will regulate the production, distribution, sale, and possession of cannabis, also known as marijuana.
The Town of Stony Plain will play an important role in cannabis legislation within municipal limits including establishing rules and regulations relating to:
- Cannabis cultivation
- Retail cannabis locations
- Public consumption and possession
- Education and awareness
The Land Use Bylaw
The Land Use Bylaw (2576/LUO/17) regulates and controls the use and development of land and buildings in Stony Plain. Because of the proposed Cannabis Act, new municipal legislation needs to be established to address both private cannabis cultivation and cannabis retail stores.
Proposed legislation from the Government of Canada and Alberta includes a variety of restrictions on cannabis cultivation and retail sales:
- A maximum of 4 legal cannabis plants may be cultivated per residence
- Cannabis plants may be cultivated anywhere on an individuals' property
- Cannabis retailers are prevented from operating within 100
metresof schools and provincial health care facilities
- Retailers may operate from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m.
The Town of Stony Plain may set additional rules and restrictions beyond those outlined by the federal and provincial governments.
The Town of Stony Plain is currently collecting feedback on legislation surrounding cannabis cultivation and retail locations. The deadline to complete this survey is Friday, May 18, 2018.
- What authority does the Town of Stony Plain have in legislation relating to cannabis retail stores and cultivation?
- The federal and provincial governments have provided municipal governments with the authority to create rules and regulations surrounding placement and setbacks of retail cannabis locations, operating hours of retail cannabis locations, the number of cannabis plants cultivated per residence, and where on a property cannabis plants can be cultivated. Legislation put forward by municipalities can be more strict, not more lenient, than proposed federal and provincial legislation.
- How do I apply for a retail cannabis store license?
- The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC) is responsible for issuing retail cannabis store licenses. The application process opened on March 6, 2018. To apply for a retail cannabis store license, please visit the AGLC's website. The process includes an extensive background check as well as confirmation of municipal approval.
Federal and Provincial Legislation
For more information on the proposed legislation put forward by the federal and provincial governments, please visit the following links:
If you have any further concerns or questions regarding cannabis legislation, please contact email@example.com