During their Regular Meeting on July 9, Council authorized the annual presentation of the new Stony Plain Award of Creative Excellence. The award will be given to an individual, organization, non-profit, or business in recognition of their outstanding creative contributions to Stony Plain.
Beginning August 10 and ending September 19, members of the public will have the opportunity to submit nominations for the award. Nominees must meet some or all of the following criteria:
- Organizes a substantial local initiative that promotes Stony Plain;
- Provides creative opportunities for public engagement;
- Encourages accessibility by reducing barriers to participation in arts and culture;
- Has introduced an event or initiative that elevates creative culture and identity in Stony Plain;
- Facilitates a meaningful and transformative experience for the individual and the community;
- Works with local artists or artisans to promote economic sustainability for creative industry; and/or
- Makes unique and outstanding achievements in local cultural planning, programs, or services.
“The Award of Creative excellence will be presented to an individual or group for the creative and forward-thinking contributions they have made to Stony Plain’s economic sustainability,” says Culture and Tourism Development Officer Angela Fetch Muzyka. “The goal is to increase invisibility of Stony Plain’s vibrant creative community by publicly recognizing these innovators.”
“Creativity is an inherent aspect of Stony Plain’s unique personality,” says Mayor William Choy. “Evidence can be seen all over town, from our public murals and painted outdoor pianos, to well-loved events such as the Summer Sessions concerts. Recognizing the achievements of trailblazers in our creative community only makes sense to enhance our cultural identity and ensure its existence for years to come.”
Nominations will be evaluated by the Cultural Round Table. A maximum of three semifinalists will be identified and one winner will be chosen. The award will be marketed and promoted by the Town of Stony Plain, and presented in Partnership with the Stony Plain and District Chamber of Commerce during the Business Awards Gala in November.
Details about the nomination process for the Award of Creative Excellence will be coming soon.
For media inquiries, contact:
Stephanie Barsby Boisvert
Corporate Communications Officer
Town of Stony Plain
For award information, contact:
Angela Fetch Muzyka
Culture and Tourism Development Officer
Town of Stony Plain