Town opens nominations for annual Ambassadors of Action: Sustainable Business Award
| Mira Timber: 2011 Award winner
The Town of Stony Plain is accepting nominations for the 2012 Ambassadors of Action: Sustainable Business Award. The annual award acknowledges the outstanding contributions of a local business in supporting and strengthening a culture of sustainability in the community.
“Many local businesses demonstrate leadership and innovation in community sustainability, and the Town wants to hear their stories and applaud their successes,” says William Choy, mayor of Stony Plain. “This award publicly recognizes a business whose accomplishments provide positive examples of sustainable business practices. I encourage many businesses to apply.”
Entries will be evaluated for sustainability, innovation, contribution to the community and long-term vision. Award-winning achievements must clearly incorporate or build upon the four pillars of the Town’s Community Sustainability Plan:
- Cultural Vitality: To preserve our culture and heritage while strengthening our sense of connectedness by fostering community support, hospitality and harmony;
- Social Equity: To develop and maintain a community focused on creatively meeting the needs of residents through the promotion of equality, wellbeing, safety, citizen participation and involvement;
- Economic Viability: To promote economic security and equity through the efficient and innovative use of resources that considers the needs of current and future generations; and
- Environmental Responsibility: To protect our natural resources and promote responsible consumption patterns that encourages living within our ecological limits.
Launched in 2008, the award is presented by the Town of Stony Plain each year to a local business that has made outstanding or innovative contributions in these areas, while considering the existing and future needs of the community. The award is intended to acknowledge the many hard-working people who continually demonstrate passion for sustainable business excellence and the advancement of responsible business leadership and harmony within the Stony Plain.
Trudy Gauthier, of Mira Timber Frame– last year’s award recipient, notes the personal and professional value of winning this award.
“As a small business, we are grateful to the Town of Stony Plain for recognizing the conscious efforts we're making to provide a balance through our business production, consumption and work environment, while meeting diversified employee needs,” Gauthier says.
- Information package and nomination form - coming soon
Completed nomination forms can be mailed to the Town office or dropped off at front reception during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mon. to Fri. – excluding holidays).
Submission deadline: 4:30 p.m. - Wed., Sept. 26, 2012
The Ambassadors of Action: Sustainable Business Award will be presented at the 2012 Chambers of Commerce Awards Gala on Nov. 10 at the Edmonton Marriott at River Cree. Jointly hosted by the Spruce Grove and Stony Plain and Districts Chambers of Commerce each year, the Chambers gather to recognize their respective business communities. The Gala is a show of recognition to businesses and business-owners in the Tri-municipal Region.
For more information, visit the Stony Plain and District Chamber of Commerce.