Edmonton, Alberta - Western Economic Diversification Canada
The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, Regional Minister for Northern Alberta and Member of Parliament for Edmonton—Spruce Grove, announced support for the Town of Stony Plain Public Outdoor Swimming Pool and
Parkland County Chickakoo Lake Recreation Area, under the Harper Government’s Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF).
In the Economic Action Plan 2012, the Harper Government announced further support to help communities across the country modernize their infrastructure. The Fund supports projects that look to improve existing community infrastructure accessible for use by the public, such as: community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, cultural and other community facilities.
- The Stony Plain Public Outdoor Swimming Pool and Chickakoo Lake Recreation Area have received a combined total of $392,636 through the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund.
- The investment of $250,000 toward the Stony Plain Public Outdoor Swimming Pool has helped refurbish the change rooms, washrooms and concession facilities at the Pool, improving accessibility for all users.
- Support of $142,636 for the Chickakoo Lake Recreation Area has helped upgrade trails, the watercraft launch area and some of the park amenities found at Chickakoo Lake.
Improvements will enhance the experiences of all users and help increase tourism levels in the region.
- “I am proud to see the communities of Stony Plain and Parkland County benefit from our Government’s support for local infrastructure. Both facilities provide valuable recreational experiences to residents and visitors, creating stronger and more prosperous communities.
- The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Health, Regional Minister for Northern Alberta and Member of
Parliament for Edmonton—Spruce Grove
“We are very pleased to receive this funding and appreciate the generous support of the Government of Canada. Our very popular pool has been somewhat of an icon in this community for more than 40 years,and, thanks to this funding, we can make some much-needed improvements that will benefit residents of — and visitors to — Stony Plain for years to come.”
- William Choy, Mayor - Town of Stony Plain
"Parkland County appreciates the support of the federal government in upgrading one of our premier Parks – the Chickakoo Lake Recreation Area. The upgrades have greatly enhanced the Park and the multitude of experiences it provides local residents, as well as visitors from the greater capital region.”
- Rod Shaigec, Mayor, Parkland County
- Western Economic Diversification Canada
Donna Kinley, Regional Communications Manager
- Town of Stony Plain
Rudy Zacharias, Corporate Communications Officer
- Parkland County
Jackie Ostashek Manager, Communications and Strategic Planning