A Third Party Advertiser is an individual, corporation or group who promotes or opposes a municipal or school board candidate through election advertising during the election advertising period (May 1 to October 18, 2021). Third Party Advertisers that intend to engage in election advertising are required to register with the Town of Stony Plain when advertising expenses or contributions have been incurred of at least $1,000. If a Third Party Advertiser plans to advertise in more than 10 local jurisdictions, they must register with the Provincial Registrar at Municipal Affairs.

Third Party Advertisers must comply with the Town of Stony Plain Land Use Bylaw

The Local Authorities Election Act governs third party advertising and Third Party Advertisers are encouraged to review Part 8 of the Act

Third party registration

Registration papers may be submitted to the Retuning Officer at Town Hall (4905-51 Ave). The registration must be made on the appropriate form.

Please remember that a Third Party Advertiser must register either:

  • when it has incurred expenses of at least $1,000 or plans to incur advertising expenses of at least $1,000 for election advertising, or
  • when it has accepted advertising contributions of at least $1,000 or plans to accept advertising contributions of at least $1,000.

PDF form issues

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:

  1. Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
  2. Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.

Election advertising contributions are provided directly to a Third Party Advertiser, and can only be made by individuals, groups or corporations who reside and operate in Alberta.

All Third Party Advertisers must provide any contributor, regardless of the contribution amount, with a receipt which must include the following information:

  • Contributor’s full name
  • Contributor’s address
  • Amount contributed
  • Date the contribution was made to, or received by the candidate
  • Date the receipt was provided back to the contributor
  • Type of contribution (monetary or valued/in-kind)

A Third Party Advertiser who engages in election advertising must file a report, Third Party Advertising Contribution Statement, with the Town of Stony Plain by March 1, 2022, identifying contributions received during the election advertising period. The report will identify the amount of all advertising contributions that did not exceed $250 in total from any single donor and each contributor who did exceed $250 in contributions, include name and address of contributor, the amount and date of each contribution.

 Frequently asked questions
What is election advertising?
Election advertising includes any transmission to the public by any means of an advertising message during an election advertising period (May 1, 2021 to October 18, 2021) that promotes or opposes the election of a candidate.
What are a candidate's responsibilities to a Third Party Advertiser?
  • Candidates are not to collude with Third Party Advertisers. Both are to work independently of each other.
  • Third Party Advertiser's do not require the permission of a candidate to support or oppose them.
  • Candidates should remind Third Party Advertisers to register with the Town of Stony Plain or the Provincial registrar, and understand their responsibilities in Part 8 of the Local Authorities Election Act.
How is the content of Third Party Advertisers regulated?
Section 179 of the Local Authorities Election Act outlines a Third Party Advertisers responsibility of what must be included in the advertisement.
What is the difference between campaign contributions and third party advertising contributions?
There are distinct differences. All are listed in the Local Authorities Election Act.
  • A campaign contribution is made directly to a nominated candidate's campaign, and only individuals who live in Alberta can contribute to a candidate's campaign.
  • A third party advertising contribution is a contribution directly to a Third Party Advertiser, and can only be made by individuals, groups or corporations who reside and operate in Alberta.
  • Contribution limits are also different:
    • Individuals can contribute up to $5,000 in total to a candidate's campaign,
    • Eligible individuals, corporations or groups can contribute up to $30,000 to a registered Third Party Advertiser.
 Am I eligible to register as a Third Party Advertiser?
To be eligible to register with the Town of Stony Plain, a Third Party Advertiser must be one of the following:
  • An individual who resides in Alberta,
  • A group of which all members reside in Alberta,
  • A corporation that carries out business in Alberta,
  • An Alberta trade union or Alberta employee organization.